TGEU Notice of Vacancy:
Transrespect Officer for TGEU
Only complete application packs sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 26, 2015 noon CET will be considered.
Transgender Europe is looking for a part time (65%, 26h per week) Transrespect Officer.
The place of work is located in Berlin, Germany.
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a European non-profit, non-governmental umbrella organisation working for the full equality and inclusion of all trans people in Europe. The network includes trans and other organisations that support or work for the rights of all trans people across Europe. The mission of TGEU is to support and strengthen the trans movement and to be a powerful advocacy organisation for trans rights in Europe and beyond.
The Transrespect Officer implements TGEU’s work on global level in particular in the framework of the TvT project. This includes the development of advocacy material, the cooperation with and support of the Senior Researcher in data collection and the cooperation with other civil society organisations in the Global South and East and on the global level. The Transrespect Officer is part of the Projects Team and works in close collaboration with the Senior Researcher (SR). Regular international travel is part of the Transrespect Officer’s job.
The Transrespect Officer reports to the ED.
Key Responsibilities are to
- support the Senior Researcher and ED in developing TGEU’s global work and implement activities on global level
- support the Senior Researcher in the collection of data in particular in the framework of the legal and social mapping and the Trans Murder Monitoring (TMM)
- compile TMM data statistics and look after the TvT data-archive with guidance from the SR
- compile submission to the OSCE, UN bodies and international organisations with guidance from the Senior Researcher
- co-ordinate and communicate with partners, contractors, advisory board members, invited activists etc.
- present the TvT project in international fora
- support TvT partners in the Global South and East in their international work
- develop (global) advocacy tools together with guidance from the Senior Researcher
- write and provide other content for the TvT web-site including the up-dating and entering of data
- organise, conceptualize and hold trainings and events for activists
- support the ED and Senior Researcher in acquiring project funding for global work
- contribute to the drafting activity reports to donors as required
- cooperate within the Projects Team
- attend weekly team meetings and monthly staff meetings
- implement other activities as required by the ED
Desired profile of the applicant
The Transrespect Officer demonstrates a strong record in LGBTI research and/or in global human rights work, preferably trans- focussed, in the Global South or East, has gained professional experience in international NGOs or institutions and has a documented record of LGBTI activism preferably trans-focussed and in global south. The Transrespect officer is able to facilitate a global research project and to combine needs of scientific research with practical aims and development of the project. The Transrespecct Offer has to be willing to travel as well as to work with the project’s partner organizations and the members of the advisory board and needs to be highly committed to the aims of TGEU and their promotion.
- University degree – preferably a M.A. – or higher in social science or similar
- Experience with LGBTI research or activism in the global south preferably with a trans focus is highly desirable
- At least two years of work experience in international non-governmental organisations or institutions
- Professional experience in human rights work preferably on global level is highly desired
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI and/or human rights related fields is highly desirable
- Experience with quantitative or qualitative research or hate-violence monitoring is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Good knowledge of Spanish
- Good organizational skills
- Frustration tolerance and ability to work under emotional pressure (hate crime research!)
- Familiarity with intercultural and international approaches
- Ability to hold talks in front of large audiences as well as to hold and organize trainings
- Knowledge of the international human rights framework is highly desirable
- Ability to work to strict deadlines
- Ability to support complex working processes
- Ability to manage a high work load
- Sound ability to work individually and within diverse teams
- Good knowledge of another language such as French, Portuguese, Hindi, or Arabic is highly desirable
- An 65% (26h per week) position starting on January 1st , 2015 for an initial period of 21 months with a possibility to prolong the position contingent on availability of funding
- A motivated team that will allow you to implement your own ideas
- The possibility to work for Europe’s leading trans human rights NGO
- Salary between 26.000-27.500€ per annum depending on experience and skills
- Relocation support to Berlin
Please use the TGEU application pack, which can be downloaded here:
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CVs. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please do not send copies of degrees and certificates. You will be asked to provide these at a later stage in the process.
In case you have questions in relation to the application procedure, the position or TGEU please send your inquiry exclusively to email@example.com. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
Please send your application before November 26, 2015 noon CET to firstname.lastname@example.org